Sunday, July 14, 2013

The wet market

Now is this not the sweetest man you ever saw
A few observations, First asians are everywhere and to say i stick out would be a huge understatement. Everyone here is about five foot tall (maybe), oval eyes, and dark hair. I however, am five foot nine, round eyes, and light hair; hello foreigner. This morning we went to a wet market which is basically a market where produce, fish, meats, and even indian clothing is sold in an open market. I assume it is called a wet market because the floor is soaked from fish guts to water from splashing crabs and who knows what else. But I loved the wet market. If i could buy all my produce and groceries this way every day i would. The working class of Singapore only buys their goods this way. I was thinking to myself why would this not work in America, and then i realized the visual of seeing all the meat being handed around, touched and tossed by many, and the heads of all that is to be consumed being dismantled in front of your eyes might not appeal to many, but for some reason it made me appreciate my food even more. Being able to pick out and sample the raw seasons and spices made the whole concept of cooking so much more exciting, because you're truly putting work into what you are preparing and in the end get to see the reward of the whole process. Something i have been observant of is how most of the community is glad within their jobs. Even some of the most unexciting jobs are performed by the most thankful workers. I think alot of the world has lost the blessing behind what working is and what it does to your soul. We were made to work, there is reward and discipline that feeds us from working. My godmother lead me to the most perfectly summarizing verse.

"and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: You should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you."   -Thessalonians 4:11
Nancy choosing our squid
Paul could not put this more perfectly. I don't think he meant literally be quiet, i think he meant let your ambitions be simple and good, a life not run by your day planner or the next step, but one that is glorifying and thankful. So to make it your ambition to lead a life that is simply good stop worrying about everyone else and do your work, do the labor with the two hands God had blessed you with. I think work is a beautiful thing that we have made into a burdensome one because we seek what pays, we seek what society says is smart but we don't seek what is ambitious for our own hearts, and simply satisfying for our own selves or if we do we get lost in the glory of it.  These market workers have blessed me with the reminder of thanksgiving, being appreciative for what i do have even if it does not compare to what someone else has. Working hard and attending to what is in front of me is a beautiful thing.





No comments:

Post a Comment